Friday, July 24, 2009

Green Mom

I've always tried my best to take in and use things that were good for me.  This means special soaps, etc.  Although are they really special, perhaps instead they are just what nature meant them to be before we started fooling with everything.  I am accused of being preachy.  People fear giving my child gifts.  My passion comes not from snobbery but from love.  I want my child, my husband, my family and my friends to live good and long lives.  I am not a gorilla recycler - attention everyone - I throw away my yougurt containers at work!  I just do the best possible within my means.  That means I don't want my son to have plastic toys.  That means I feed him formula that the doctor gave us for free but it breaks my heart a little bit because it is not organic.  I know organic things are expensive but when I think of some of the other junk I buy it makes sense to me (plus there are many veggies/fruits that you don't need to buy organic - example avocados.) As my son crawls I worry about the dirt I find on his hands of our just vaccumed floor.  I want to do all I can, yes, I can not control the outcome of life but I can know that I did my best.  There are times, many times, that the opinions of others get to me, that I want to throw in the towel.  Then I start to think I must be crazy.  Thankful this week when I was just about to throw in that towel, I found the right book for me.  I skimmed it in two hours and felt renewed passion.  I am assured again the purchasing that special sunscreen is worth it!  What ever you do, what ever you can do, do it.  I think moms love judging each other.  Just do it your way and be okay with that.  And if you hear me share about how anti-bacterial soaps have a pesticide in them know that I am not saying, I told you so.  I am sharing my knowledge because I want to protect you.  Anyways if you were wondering what book that was - Healthy Child Healthy World by Gavigan.  Thanks for listening.

No comments: