Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What are your favorite books to read to your little ones?

We have a lot of books around here and since many of the readers and contributors to this blog are librarians I'm assuming you have quite the stock pile at your house too. Here is a short list of the ones I never get sick of reading to my girls:
Big Momma Makes the World I found this one at the library and love it so much because I get to read it in a fun southern drawl that my husband finds very annoying which for me makes it all the more fun. All the World We have read this one so many times that now when I read it I'll skip every other 2 or 3 worlds and have my daughter fill them in. Flotsam I have to admit I was a little annoyed when I first opened this book and there were no words but my mind was quickly changed by the awesome story the pictures told and the upside of no words is you can make the story as quick or as long as you like.The Pout Pout Fish This is a cute story with lots of potential for using different voices with a fun ending that is the perfect excuse to shower your kid with kisses. Snuggle Puppy My 3 year old has cut me off from reading this because she doesn't like the jazzy voice I use to sing the song but at least I have a few more years before my littlest will be old enough to protest my singing.
What are your family's favorites?

4 comments:

V/P/A/A said...

how VERY librarian of you.... Let me think! I do love Snuggle Puppy though!

Debbie Diesen said...

What a great list -- and thanks for including The Pout-Pout Fish!!

Best Fishes,
Debbie Diesen (author of The Pout-Pout Fish)

Genesis said...

Right now, my son is really into a book called Press Here by Herve Tullet. He also loves Freight Train by Donald Crews, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Numeroff, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen, and The Monster at the End of This Book. He has most of his favorites memorized and will recite them as he's walking around. My husband and I both try to approximate Grover's voice when we read the Monster book, and Calvin does his own Grover voice when he recites it. Super cute!

V/P/A/A said...

Hello mommas, you are precious!

Ains favorites are Trains by Barton and Goodnight Gorilla. Ab likes anything Thomas the Tank Engine and anything Trucktown and is getting into some of his mom's favorites, Scaredy Squirrel and Who Hops/Hoots.